Friday 22 August 2008

Someone's nicked my shoes!

Both feet

I left them on the bench in the women's changing rooms while I used the gym at Cockermouth Leisure Centre, and when I got back, they were gone. I was quite sure they'd just been tidied up by some over-consciencious member of staff, but it seems they really have been stolen. I'm appalled! They only cost £7 from a charity shop, but I'm very fond of them because they actually fit my wide feet and they're great for cycling and they're nice and bright and red and I can't afford to replace them with a new pair of the same quality.

<sob!>

When I joined the gym I asked where the lockers were, and I was told that although there are lockers for the swimming pool there are none for the gym (although they're planning to install them sometime) so in the meantime you just have to carry all your stuff around with you. I don't like putting my street shoes, which are sometimes a bit dirty, in the same bag with the rest of my clothes to cart around the gym, so I generally just leave them under the bench. They're not worth much so I never imagined anyone would take them. But last night the floor was sopping wet - I think it had just been washed - and because I didn't want my laces trailing on it and getting all wet I put the shoes on top of the bench instead of underneath, making them a lot more visible, I suppose.

And of course, because it was warm, the back door was open. Anyone could have slipped inside, had a quick look around the changing rooms, picked up my shoes and nipped out again without being noticed.

Of course I complained, and now they tell me that I'm quite welcome to use the swimmers' lockers! That wasn't what I was told when I joined. I am not happy.

I may just spend a bit of time wandering around the streets of Cockermouth looking at people's feet and showing this photo to everyone I meet: "Have you seen these shoes?"

3 comments:

chrisdonia said...

Is this one of them?

ally mcgurk said...

Ha! Almost . . . where did they get them, I wonder? Most of these boots are either too expensive or too narrow, or both . . . can't find replacements.

steve said...

Hello,

I would like to invite you to take part on the Thought for the Day feature on BBC Radio Cumbria:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/local_radio/tftd/

This is the link - if it sounds like something you might be interested in, fill in the online contact form on the "A guide to becoming a Thought for the Day contributor" page and that will go straight to me.

I look forward to hearing from you,

All the best