Thursday 19 July 2007

THE DOGS ARE DIFFERENT

When we encountered a place in the fence at the top of the field where I could climb over into the next field, I saw the wire was bent down in such a way that other animals must have used it before. I clambered over, and pointed to the top. Ghyll jumped up and down, examined it a bit, put his paws on it, had a wee think, and then, quite elegantly for a border collie, leapt very neatly over it.

"Right Pace, " says I. "Your turn next." But Pace steadfastly kept all four feet on the ground and refused to budge. She tries to find somewhere to squeeze through, but it's hopeless. Ghyll and I try to encourage her to attempt a jump, but she's not interested. OK, she's getting on years a bit, and she's quite a heavy dog these days, but I thought she might have at least tried.

Ghyll and I return to Pace's field, and wander back the way we came, contemplating. I realise that although Ghyll will jump a fence, and he's slim enough to slither under a gate, he won't swim under water like Pace - in fact, he won't swim at all, whereas she'll jump into any depth of water with no qualms, and swim to the bottom to retrieve a toy. I also realise that a few weeks ago Pace discovered how to negotiate a cattle grid, quite a clever feat for a quadruped. Ghyll had to be manhandled through a gap in the fence that time.

Between them we have one perfect dog. I guess I'll just have to keep them both...

No comments: