Thursday 5 July 2007

Piping Hot's Scratchy Ceilidh Band

We've been invited, rather suddenly, to become a scratch ceilidh band. Well, a few of us either play for another ceilidh band at the moment, or have played with ceilidh bands in the past, so it's not exactly an alien concept, but it's going to be a nice change from playing recorder music with intricate harmonies.

J, a friend of B's, is a caller, and needed a band, so here we are, practising for a gig at the Kirkgate in a couple of weeks' time. And we are actually going to get paid for it. Gosh.

J turns out to have been one of the founder members of Belfagan, way back 26 years ago. I thought her name was familiar. It's a small world around here.

So it's B on accordion, K on fiddle, S on flute and R on flute and recorder, with me providing a steady rhythm on guitar. I am impressed by R and S who sight read accurately music they haven't seen before at top speed on woodwind instruments. I couldn't do that. I'd have to go home and practice. (It's dead easy to rattle out a few guitar chords, but playing the tune is much harder.)

We sound bloody good. If it goes down well on the 18th we might want to do this more often, though I don't know how S2 would feel about a rival ceilidh band in the area, especially since it uses a couple of his musicians...

S, B and I decide to have a separate practice session next week to work on some of my songs to play in the interval. It looks like our little virtuoso folk trio may end up being called Sheeps in the Oven.... (more on this later).

No comments: