Thursday 14 February 2008

Making besoms!

Spent the morning at Ashgill Quarry, Plumbland, learning to make birch besoms. Quite a contrast to my previous learning activity, but a lot of fun, and it was nice to be able to go out wearing scruffy old clothes for a change. Bloody cold, so warmth was more important than haute couture.
Herdies (3)
Got stuck behind a flock of escaped young herdwicks on the way, which was fun, as I love herdwicks, and they did seem to be rather revelling in their newfound, but probably short-lived freedom.
Besom-making day
Helen rests her weary legs: Hannah shows off a newly-made besom as one of the students watches in admiration.

The sun shone, the resident border collies brought sticks to be thrown, and we tied birch brushwood together and stuck poles through the middle. I now have a besom HP himself would be proud of, though, sadly, none of us managed to rise so much as a couple of inches off the ground.

BLOODY COMPUTERS

Spent the rest of the day, on and off, trying to figure out why my external hard drive has suddenly become invisible to my PC. Yesterday morning it was working, but when I switched on the computer again later, it had vanished. Well, it's still there - I can see it - and the LED is lighting up, so it's getting power, but the computer isn't recognising it. Tried it on Steve's PC but it, too, ignores the thing completely. Seems to me it's a mechanical fault, rather than a software problem, which means (a) we can't fix it ourselves, but (b) at least the data is probably safe. So I phoned up Westcom, our trusty local computer repairers, and have booked it in for tomorrow morning.

SECURE BACKUPS?
In the meantime I am bereft. I'm searching through backup CDs for out-of-date copies of my price list so I can update them and send them to enquirers; found one at last, as well as an old copy of several other things I need. But there are a number of jobs I intended to get on with today and tomorrow, and they'll have to be postponed for a wee while now, as I don't have recent enough backups. That'll larn me . . . The question is, though - What is a safe backup method? Everything can fail. I don't trust CDs and DVDs particularly, but that's where my backups are. I thought the external HD was more secure, but now it's failed! I gave up on minidisks because of the nightmare scenerio of some of the drives turning rogue and destroying any disk that was put in them. I just don't think anything's 100% secure. Perhaps I should upload copies of everything to some secure online vault or something . . . but how long would that take? And why should I trust them any more than my own local drives?

NO NUDE FEMALE DANCERS HERE

Heh heh. I've just uploaded to Flickr a batch of photos taken this morning during the besom workshop, one of which showed a strange figure I discovered on site, carved from scrap timber, and depicting an ethnic looking female dancer, apparently unclothed. Among the Flickr tags for this were words such as, "nude, female," and "dancer". It's now an hour or two since I uploaded the photos. Unsurprisingly, since it's Feb 14th and many people probably have better things to do than browsing Flickr, I've had no views at all on most of my photos, except for one . . . guess which one has already had 10 views! I'd love to have seen their faces when, after following links leading to the "nude female dancer" they were expecting,they found this instead!

No comments: