Saturday 16 February 2008

Buttermere

When the sun shines on a Saturday I feel obliged to make the most of it, so I took the dogs down to Buttermere for a bit of a wander. Beautiful lake, of course, but I thought at this time of year it wouldn't be too inundated with tourists. Well, perhaps it's even worse in summer, but honestly, it felt like bloody Princes Street down there, squeezing past families with kids and babies, dogs and grannies, on the narrow path by the lake shore. I've never been to such a busy lake. You can see why, of course - it's crystal clear, flat and mirror-like, surrounded by statuesque mountains, and even boasts a selection of heartstoppingly amazing trees. A photographer's dream, except that at times it's just too flat and mirror-like. I prefer a mirror disturbed by a dog's wake as it dashes in to retrieve a stick.
Tree, posing in the landscape
I mean, honestly, just look at this. Too beautiful, or what?

Anyway, Pace, having just celebrated her 10th birthday, is beginning to show her age. Just as we'd reached more or less the point on our walk that was furthest from the car, she started lagging behind, and at one point looked about to sit down in the middle of the path. I guess I'd better stop letting her do so much swimming, even though she thinks she wants to do it. She needs new batteries, but I don't know where to insert them . . .
Pace brings it
I hope this isn't the last photo I'll be taking of Pace swimming with a stick, though.

No comments: