Saturday 23 February 2008

Michael Schenker at Workington

Michael Schenker at Workington (23)
Seems odd how these big rock stars end up playing on the stage of the little Carnegie Theatre in Workington, a place even Steve's Los Huevos Bandidos have been known to strut their stuff. Hell, I've explored the backstage area myself, and turned up my nose at the grotty dressing rooms, and yet Michael Schenker turns up and plays there.

I had no idea if I'd like it or not, but it's always worthwhile accompanying Steve to see his heroes, even though he won't return the favour. (I'm off to Langholm - alone - next week to see Fraser Fifield - a brilliant Scots sax player - the sort of thing you'd expect Steve to like, but on the strength of 4 tracks on his MySpace site he's decided he doesn't like him. Oh well, it's his loss.)

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed Schenker, and even more so because I've finally given in and bought myself a packet of fluorescent yellow expanding foam earplugs from B&Q. Meant to protect your lugs while using power tools, they're brilliant for taking the edge off very loud rock music, to the extent that you can actually hear the notes being played, adding a whole new dimension to this wonderful art form.

The singer and bass player were as good to look at as to listen to, and I now have, I think, the definitive list of players: Leif Sundin - vocals; Thoman Broman- drums; Wayne Findlay - guitar/keyboards; Thomas Torberg - bass.

The rest of the photos can be seen here.


No comments: